By Tricia Ruggeri
In reality, what is a proper Pittsburgh summer without at least one trip to Kennywood Park? I mean, if not by you personally, you at least vicariously live through someone else’s Kennywood experience through their SkyCoaster videos on Snapchat, or a classic log jammer picture posted on Facebook. But, lets face it, actually spending at a day at Kennywood beats all the pictures and videos social media could ever provide. Fortunately, the Park opens this weekend: Saturday, May 14th!
Kennywood has been a staple destination to its visitors since 1898 – making it one of the oldest amusement parks in America! What makes Kennywood so special, though, is it’s balance of evolution and preservation of tradition throughout its years of existence. Only at Kennywood can you ride a classic, historic ride like the original Jack Rabbit, built in 1921, and the 50 mph, looping steel rollercoaster like Sky Rocket, built in 2010. It’s with this dynamic of old and new that keeps Kennywood sentimental, even in 2016.
Kennywood is for those young, and young at heart, which makes it perfect for families to connect over thrills and twirls (and a lot of Potato Patch fries, of course). Accommodations are readily available to make the day as easy as possible. Including:
- Kabana Rentals – Each kabana accommodates 8 guests with 8 chairs, 2 tables, and a fan in a spacious 10’x12’ kabana located conveniently in the center of the park. Kabana’s can be rented ahead of time online for a lower price, or rented out at the park on a first come, first serve basis. Perfect for a totally committed day at the park.
- Locker Rentals – available right at the entrance at the park (note: above that delicious fudge shop). Lockers are always convenient for keeping that extra set of clothes after the Pittsburgh Plunge, or stuffing ridiculously large stuffed animals into. Also, a great compromise for a whole Kabana when only a small amount of space is needed.
- Dining Options – countless delicious options throughout the park, such as the Golden Nugget, Backyard BBQ, Rita’s Italian Ice and the Potato Patch. More sit-down options available such as the Parkside Cafe. Meal Deals are even available online for pre-purchase before your visit, for those who really like to plan.
For more specially planned days, Kennywood offers an awesome package for Birthday celebrations with their Kenny’s Birthday Bash Package. The package can accommodate anywhere from 12-50 people (with a 12 person minimum). The package includes:
- 2 Hour party time in private party area (11am to 1pm)
- Choice of menu:
- The Kenny Party Menu: Pizza, Frito-Lay potato chips
- The Parker Party Menu: Classic golden fried chicken tenders with dipping sauces, French fries
- Ice cream and a chocolate chip cookie cake
- Paper products and birthday banner
- Soft drinks, 2% milk and bottled water
More information regarding Birthday Packages can be found at: https://www.kennywood.com/plan-a-visit/birthdays.
Season Passes and One Day Admission tickets can be purchased ahead of time online, at your local Giant Eagle, or right at the gate. There are tons of different options available, making your visit super customizable and convenient – great for family days on the fly. For more information about the number of options available, visit https://www.kennywood.com/plan-a-visit/tickets-and-passes.
In the end, Kennywood’s atmosphere is truly unforgettable, and will always hold a special place in the hearts of Pittsburghers of all generations. Just across the Rankin bridge awaits the most genuine Pittsburgh memory to be made this summer.